Although there was a Gurdwara here since the 1800s, in the later part of twentieth century, some Sikh families had settled near Lakhpat and other parts of Kutch, specially at Gandhidham. This was the port-city of Kandla port, which was built in the year 1952. In the wake of independence of India in 1947, lot of Sindhi’s families settled in Kutch from erstwhile Sind Province. Sindhi’s have been devotees of Guru Nanak Dev. They with the co-operation of the Sikh’s built a Gurudwara at Gandhidham and this Gurudwara management along with a Sindhi fellow settled at Lakhpat after independence. They have been looking after the Lakhpat shrine for the last 50 years.
It is believed that Guru Nanak Dev ji stayed at Lakhpat several times while travelling south and to Mecca and Medina (Saudi Arabia). The place served as a seat of the Udasi Sect. Several rare treasures are preserved here at Gurudwara Shri Lakhpat Sahib including the “charan Paduka” – Khadvas (wooden footwear) of Guru Nanak Dev ji’s.
At present various extensions are being added to the Gurdwara complex and this “sewa” of additional building of Yatri Niwas (visitor’s sleeping rooms), Langar hall (Dining hall), Diwan Hall (congregation hall) is being undertaken by Shri Baba Lakkha Singh ji – Baruch.
Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi meaning the “Gurdwara of the first master” is situated at Lakhpat, Gujarat, India – A town in Gujarat, visited by Guru Nanak Sahib during his second and fourth missionary journeys (Udasis) in 1506-1513 AD and 1519-1521 AD respectively. Gurdwara Guru Nanak Sahib has been built to preserve the memory of these visits of revered Guru during the early 1500s. Guru Nanak is believed to have visited this site while he was on his way to Mecca during the Fourth Udasi. A few rare personal possessions of his are retained here.
In the course of Guru Nanak Dev ji’s travels, he visited Gujarat and traveled on to Lakhpat. In old times, Lakhpat was part of Sind (now in Pakistan). Lakhpat is 170 kms from Gandhidham, Gujarat, India. In the sixteenth century Lakhpat was known as “Basta Bander”. Lakhpat used to be a rich rice growing area and was also a popular port. However, due to an earthquake in 1819 A.D., the area became barren and crops withered away due to a lack of water as the river disappeared after the earthquake.
To commemorate Guru Nanak Dev ji’s visit to Lakhpat, a Gurudwara was built in the early years of the nineteenth century. A vast tract of land was bestowed to the Gurudwara to make up expenses for maintenance and to look after the visitors. The revenues from the land and the crops grown there have sustained the Gurdwara. Lakhpat is about 20 kms from Korini village where there is a big Sarovar in memory of the visit by Guru Nanak Dev ji to this area. From Lakhpat, Guru ji crossed to Somiani port in Sind for his famous journey onward to Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia.